Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Summer Overnight Gear List

I have made many gear lists in the past few years.  I find it really helps to organize your gear, encourages you to evaluate each choice of gear critically (i.e. weight and utility), and discourages you from forgetting anything important.  I recently sat down and made an updated version of my summertime gear list.  This gear list is under 10lbs, which is generally considered to be ultralight.  I will soon be going on vacation to Spain with my family, but when I get back I can't wait to test it out.  I also plan on testing out a super-ultralight (base weight of gear under 5lbs) set of gear, something I have never done before, just to see how it goes.

Here she blows:



Cesar’s Overnight Gear List Summer 2011

Gear
Weight (g)
Notes


Backpack
840
Golite Jam


Sleep system
830
Synthetic warm weather sleeping bag, polyester sweater, beanie, socks


Shelter
1035
Big Agnes FCUL1


Ground cover
215
Homemade


Personal survival kit
222
Crank flashlight, string, whistle, firesteel, space blanket, candle, pen, paper, duct tape


First aid kit
152
Gauze roll, gauze pad, safety pins, 3 doses Tylenol, band-aids, butterfly strips, tape, latex gloves, alcohol pads, tweezers, sewing kit, mini-Bic lighter, tissues


Mess kit
141
Titanium pot (700ml), tin foil lid, plastic mug, plastic spoon, sponge


Knife/sheath
143
Mora Bushcraft Forest


Water bottles (2)
42
1.5 liters total volume


Compass/mirror
79

Garbage bag
77

Rope
30

Rain Poncho
220

This stays in the car if there is little/no chance of rain

Hygiene kit
132
Towel, biodegradable soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm



TOTAL BASE WEIGHT
4158 grams
9.15 pounds




Food bag
575
3 meals, 2 snacks


Water
1500
Boil more to sanitize if needed



TOTAL BACKPACK WEIGHT
6223 grams
13.70 pounds